This post is intended to help those who are preparing for Step 2 CK. I would like to share some information on my USMLE Step 2 CK preparation process which resulted in a score of 263. If you would like to see my overall profile you can visit My Residency Stats
I had only 3.5 months to study as I want to apply for the match within the same year. So I didn’t go through Kaplan notes or videos. First of all, I gave a thorough reading to MTB2 and 3. Then I made notes from UWorld when I did it for the first time. I never cared about the percentage in UWorld as I used it as a study tool not assessment tool. At the end I revised those notes 2 times in the last week of my preparation. In my experience MTB and UWorld were more than sufficient to get a good score. At no point in the exam I felt that I should have referred to some other source.
Preparation Time: 3.5 months
Study Material Used:
- Master the Boards 2nd Edition (Complete)
- Master the Boards 3rd Edition (All except Internal Medicine)
- UWorld twice (First time average 78%)
- Conrad Fischer comprehensive cases: I listened to them only passively when I was bored reading text and while working in the kitchen. So its not a must if you have mastered the MTBs
- NBME clinical mastery series assessment exams (These are really helpful and one should try to do at least 15 days before exam so that you can get time to go through these questions once again as they closely resemble the questions on real exam)
- NBME 4 (offline) – 246 (15 days before exam)
- NBME 7 (online) – 260 ( 5 days before exam)
- UWSA – 259 (3 days before exam)
- FRED 150 – around 93% (1 day before exam)
Real deal : Lows 260s
Congrats on the great score. Maybe you can help clarify something for me – a lot of forums mention MTB 2 and MTB 3 but with the latter are they referring to the step 2CK third edition or the step 3 book? Seems a little counterintuitive to be using a step 3 book for step 2 studying……
Thanks for the kind words! MTB 2 is for Step 2CK and MTB 3 is for Step 3, but most of the people find all the subjects except Medicine are better explained in MTB 3 so they do use MTB 3 for preparation of Step 2CK
Congrats on your score. That’s beautiful!
Where did you get the answers for clinical mastery series assessment? I have been searching for days and could get much.
Thank you for your help
I took it online and once submitted they give you the number of questions correctly answered.
For the questions answered wrong I searched/asked on the USMLE Forums – their is also a thread with answers